Pages

Thursday, September 23, 2010

Stuffed Zuchini for dinner

I applaud you in your efforts of trying to be 100% self sufficient. I have tried to find ways to do that myself, but often get some crazy looks at my house.

If you are looking for a dinner that is made all homemade I think I have found one for you if you like zucchini. Here is a recipe that a neighbor just told me about and we tried last week. Since I have only made this once I haven't perfected it quite yet, but it definitely has potential. If anyone has any adjustments please post them so we can all benefit from them.

Take a large zucchini (we used two medium sized ones for our family of 7)
Cut it lengthwise in half. clean out the seeds, making a trench.
You may want to steam it for about 10 minutes in the microwave to soften it. (you can make your stuffing while you do this)
Use your yummy sausage from you newly slaughtered pig, fry it up and place in the bottom of the zucchini trench you have made.

Stuffing:
1/2 c finely diced onion
3/4 c chopped celery (I passed on celery since I didn't have any, still turned out delicious)
1/2 c butter
4 cups homemade bread cut into cubes
2 teaspoons poultry seasoning
1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper

Saute onion and celery in butter (and sausage drippings if you would like) until softened, but not browned.
Stir in about 1/3 of the bread cubes. Pour onion mixture into a large bowl and stir in remaining bread cubes, poultry seasoning, and pepper. Mix well, this stuffing is ready for baking.

After you have heaped stuffing on the top of each of the zucchini halves, place in the oven on a cookie sheet, uncovered, on 350 degrees for about 20-30 minutes (or until zuchini is tender and stuffing is crunchy).



No comments:

Post a Comment